Thursday, January 17, 2008

Alex Trebek, You Jackass





















There is a thick vein in my hand. Its by my thumb, and has a seperate pulse. The
light from the lamp beside me is pouring over it and casting a shadow down one side, its protruding so. Its like an earthworm sleeping in my hand, just under my skin. Its really distracting, I can feel it beating its own seperate beat. Ugggghhhhhhhhhh

Oh yeah. Im writing another blog BECAUSE I JUST REMEMBERED I didnt brag about my awesome birthday presents!

This is what I got-- this is more just so I can look back later in life, when Im o
ld and grey, and see what awesome stuff I got when I was a young 23 year old scamp.

Well, I got taken out to the Imperial, a dive bar, by all my most loved, and drinks were poured down my throat-- that was the best present!

Cory brought cupcakes to work for me from the Dessert Lady on the Danforth. Enough to share with all the foodshop girls. Everyone in the kitchen was jealous! After work he took me to these shops in Cabbagetown I hadnt been to before. We found such treasures as...


Bauhaus's Bela Lugosi's Dead on vinyl! Sexy.

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead.mp3

















Klee Wyck by Emily Carr - When I was about 8 years old I bought this book for a dime at a garage sale, not knowing at all what it was, but finding it instantly very attractive. I remember the first pages of the introduction described a middle old lady who would walk everyday like clockwork past her neighbors house on her way to the butchers shop. She would be pushing a cart in front of her, its passenger was a japanese monkey named Woo, and around her would be pigeons and other small rodents, following her down the street. I thought that was fucking magical. She painted and wrote books and had a monkey and a peacock and lived by herself and didn't give a fuck for anyone else. When people would come to visit she would tie all her chairs up with ropes and hang them from the ceiling so no one would have anywhere to sit and would leave very quickly. This is my absolute favourite Emily Carr quote. I think its is extremely important. One of the most important things Ive ever read.

"Be careful that you do not write or paint anything that is not your own, that you don't know in your own soul. You will have to experiment and try things out for yourself and you will not be sure of what you are doing. That's all right, you are feeling your way into the thing. But don't take what someone else has made sure of and pretend that it's you yourself that have made sure of it, till its yours absolutely by conviction. Its stealing to take it and hypocrisy and you'll fall into a hole... If you're going to lick the icing off somebody else's cake, you won't be nourished and it won't do you any good, -- or you might find the cake had caraway seeds and you hate them. But if you make your own cake, and know the recipe and stir the thing with your own hand it's your own cake. You can ice it or not as your like. Such lots of folks are licking the icing off other fellow's cakes!"


Girl With Curious Hair by David Foster Wallace - A collection of interesting short stories. Kind of.. Paul Thomas Anderson meets Tom Robbins minus all the "Look at how many words I know"ness. The first story is about 2 lesbans and Alex Trebek. Quite excellent so far!



Red Earth and Pouring Rain by Vikram Chandra - Haven't started this one, but it looks like a good read. Don't know anything about it other than its about an indian student and.. wild adventures? God knows, looks good though!








And this huge, gorgeous, hardcover book of Durer prints and paintings. Such as:


And!

The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas!

We found this in the junk shop, admist a lot of crap and a weird leather virgin mary themed wallet Cory bought because he is so awesomely cool man. I just flipped through it and saw delicious sounding recipes, with simple, good ingredients and thought "Oh Yes Please". Looking at the ratings it got on Amazon it was a good $6.00 purchase! Thanks Cory m'dear!

Leah bought me a little bag of Godiva Chocolate which I literally inhaled with my pitcher of beer on Friday. And Amanda bought be tons of booze, a hotdog, and a rooooose awwww shes so sickeningggggg. It died, by the way amanda.. >8/ It was totally dead in the morning despite the makeshift vase I made it! Oh well, it was beautiful but for an evening. And what an evening it was..

And what, an evening.. it...... was.....

We should celebrate me more often.

Thanks everyone for making it so fucking great by the way! See you all again next year!

3 comments:

The Alden said...

Happy Presentday, Kara! Those seem pretty neat. :)

The Alden said...

Oh, and I meant belated presentday, but my brain forgot that word.

Cory said...

The Desert Lady is actually in Yorkville. I thought it was important that people know that I bumped Beamers and fought rich old bags to get you those cupcake, instead of just meeting some friendly greeks.