Sunday, March 23, 2008

DinDins, Darling


Cory and I continued our tradition of eating way too much delicious food on sunday. I made salmon patties, small new potatoes, cauliflower with nutmeg and dill sauce all over everything! THEN I found a frozen pie crust in the freezer from months ago and so I filled it with coconut custard, smothered it in thick shiny chocolate ganache and ate it with a big ol mug of cocoa. Now I want to die. So good. So much food. Help me....


Salmon Cakes

Makes 10 medium sized patties

2 cans boneless, skinless salmon

2 hearty squirts o' mayonnaise

12 soda crackers, crushed or equal amount breadcrumbs

2 green onions, chopped fine
salt and pepper


Mix all that stuff up. Roll into patties. Fry in a very small amount of oil. You can keep these in the oven at 150 degrees until you are ready if you are, uh, not ready yet. I did. Potatoes take 1000 years.

Dill Sauce

makes 2 cups

4 tbps butter

4 tbsp flour

1 cup milk

1 cup water

Bunch of dill

Salt and pepper


Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir in flour until completely dissolved into smooth paste. Take off heat and slowly add the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps forming. Salt and pepper to taste.


Chocolate Coconut Custard Pie

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cornstarch

2 1/2 cups coconut milk (or 1 can + 1/2 cup milk)

5 egg yolks (I used 5 whole eggs by accident, turned out okay, just not as velvety)

2-3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 tsp vanilla


Make or buy a pie crust! Poke holes in the bottom, give'r a light eggwash with a beaten egg yolk, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.


Whisk in a medium saucepan the sugar, cornstarch and salt until well blended. Gradually whisk in the coconut milk and/or milk. Vigorously whisk in the egg yolks until no yellow streaks remain. Whisking constantly, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla until smooth, thick and velvety.


Spoon the filling into pie crust. Refrigerate until firm.


Chocolate Glaze

1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips

1/3 cup water, coffee or milk (I chose milk)
6 tbsp butter, chopped in small pieces

Heat chocolate and water/milk/coffee in the top of a double boiler or in a microwave on medium, stirring often, just until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add in butter a few pieces at a time, while stirring. I also added a sprinkle of cinnamon for a little extra taste. Let mixture stand until it cools down a bit and then poor over cooled custard pie. Chill for at least 30 minutes.


The pie was actually exceptionally delicious. Next time I do it I may sprinkle coconut on top or line the edge with big fresh raspberries to contrast the heavy creamy chocolatey feel with a burst of fresh berry. This pie would also be nice with a chocolate or crushed cookie crust. Graham crackers or shortbread, or even Oreo or chocolate cookie.... holy shit Im actually starting to get hungry again. I MUST BE STOPPED.

6 comments:

Jason Dittle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendy77 said...

Comment deleted?!? What the fuck kind of censorship is that! I DEMAND TO KNOW WHAT THE COMMENT WAS!

Also, that pie sounds pretty dang yum.

Wendy77 said...

Oh, and what is the appropriate consistency for coconut milk? I bought two cans a while ago and used them both but one was like, sort of thin? And the other was suuuuper thick? They both tasted okay but that sort of incongruity in what was allegedly the same product unsettles and disturbs me.

Kara said...

Two cans by the same company? One wasnt light? And that comment was common spam and I didnt want to look at it! ITS MY BLOG I CAN DO WHAT I LIKE! THIS IS NO OPEN FORUM MY FRIEND THIS IS KARALALALAND!

Wendy77 said...

No they were both regular...

Kara said...

I dunno, I just dunno! Maybe your presence cause one to instantly spoil!