Monday, May 19, 2008

Coconut Rice Pudding

Photo by Cory Blundon

Still on my lime and coconut kick, and having some leftover ingredients to use, I thought Id put on my fruit salad apron and experiment a little bit. Non-diary rice pudding is something I have been wanting to make forever, as my stomach now seems an intolerable to lactose. So I fiddled with some recipes on the ol' internet to come up with this! It was very creamy, with excellent flavour combinations but I found it very sweet. I used much much less sugar than most recipes called for too, and sub'd in honey. If you make this I definitely recommend the crunchy coconut from Epicurious.com.

Coconut Rice Pudding
1/2 cup long grain or basmati rice

1 can regular or light coconut milk

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup honey

1/2 tsp cardamom

1 tsp vanilla extract

Pinch of salt

1/4 cup ground almonds
*1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted, if you aren't putting the crispy coconut on top, which would be a grave mistake

Combine rice, coconut milk, water, honey, salt and almonds in saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 min, stirring occasionally.

Take off heat, add cardamom and vanilla
.

*I squirted in a little of my new favourite thing, lime syrup, to give it a little tartness. And then I squirted some into a glass of gin! Oh yes.

Crispy Coconut
Courtesy of Epicurious.com

1 large egg white

3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut shavings

Preheat oven to 300°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk egg white, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add coconut shavings and toss until evenly moistened. Spread coconut mixture evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake until coconut is light golden and beginning to crisp, stirring and turning frequently, about 22 minutes. Cool on baking sheet.
D

Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

No comments: