Saturday, May 24, 2008

Fruity Clafoutis Hooty Booty


I'm back home for the weekend! Yep, my sick ass has put another geographic area at risk for disease! Yayyy!

The first things I did were insult my mother, hug my dog, and eat a big ol' piece of pie! Ahhh it feels good to be back. It was rhubarb pie, for inquiring minds who must know. Nosy peckers.

Ugh there are wee flies all over my laptop ahhhh save me! Now there are wee guts all over my laptop, ha ha ha!

So while Im at home, when I need to take a break from gorging and annoying, I like to take advantage of a big kitchen and groceries (how novel!) and bake! I found a sack of cherries hiding in the fridge, reserved for my gram, but screw her, dude! I have been curious about clafoutis so that is what happened.

I clafoutis'd all over the place.


Cherry Clafoutis
Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma


4 eggs, separated

2/3 cup sugar

6 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream

1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 lb. fresh cherries, pitted, or 1 1/4 lb.
frozen cherries, thawed and drained
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
* I added 1/4 tsp almond extract


Preheat an oven to 375ºF. Butter a large rectangular baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of the sugar. Using a handheld mixer, beat on medium-high speed until ribbons form, about 8 minutes. Add the flour, vanilla and cream. Reduce the speed to low and beat until completely blended, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. In a small bowl, using a hand held whisk, beat the egg whites and salt for about 30 seconds. Add the whites to the batter and beat with the mixer on low speed until incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Preheat the prepared baking dish in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes. In a bowl, stir together the cherries, the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the lemon zest. Remove the pan from the oven, pour in the cherries and top with the batter. Bake until the clafoutis is set in the middle, 30 to 35 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.


My most darling of ma's stashed a reserve of pie dough disks in the freezer so I snatched one of those to serve as a tender flakey womb for my clafoutis baby. There was a lot of leftover custard so I made a small secondary one in a pyrex bowl without a crust. That one was a Cherry Pear Pistachio Clafoutis with a sprinkle of nutmeg. I loathe nutmeg but Im trying to meld together the shards of a friendship long broken.

I just had a slice of the Cherry Clafoutis. It was good, not out of this WORLD though (meaning, not as good as the one at work.) I think the main problem was that my cherries were a little on the lame side, light and not overly cherry-licious. Next time I would use more egg yolk and less egg white, a bit more sugar, and SWEET DARK CHERRIES! But I added a 1/4 tsp of almond extract and that tastes really nice!

Or it could be that I'm sick and cant smell or taste anything and it actually tastes perfect......... YOU DECIDE! Im going to bed!

OH AND My moms crust is delicious. Kudos, momface.

2 comments:

Wendy77 said...

That actually looks pretty good. You should do a whole weekly theme on desserts that sounds like STDs.

Kara said...

Like what else?