Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ginger Snaps and Peaches


I'm just home from work and feel like a bloody zombie. Well, maybe not a bloody zombie because blood would mean they maybe found some delicious brains to snack on and are feeling pretty high on themselves. I feel like a pale, hungry zombie who wants to crawl back into her wormy hole in the ground and give death another shot. Hoping against hope that a cup of tea, a fresh peach and a couple of Ginger Crisp Biscuitswill invigorate me some. Mmm yes.

On the weekend I bought approximately 1 Buttload of Peaches. Thats the metric system, mind you. Failing at the endeavor of devouring them all in one go I decided to make a pie! But I don't really like cooked peaches... I really don't.. so I was so, like, totally stoked dude, when I found this recipe for a fresh peach tart where there is no cooking of the peaches involved. I thought it sounded a little weird at first but it came out bursting with flavour and C-Face and I got a bit Pie In The Sky and hoovered it up that night and for breakfast the next morning. Excellent cold pie, next time I will use fresh squeezed orange juice though cause I found it tasted as much like orange as it did peach. Oh well!

Fresh Peach and Orange Pie
Courtesy of KitchenParade.com

Serves 8

1 pre-baked pie crust

Filling:

Water to cover
6 peaches
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Zest of an orange
1 cup orange juice (fresh-squeezed is wonderful)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon almond extract

Topping:

1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Two or three at a time, drop peaches into boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon, let cool. Slice to the pit lengthwise, slip off skins. Slice each half into six pieces, then halve the pieces.

*** OR do what I do and just score the bottom of each peach and then in a large bowl, pour boiling water from your electric kettle over the peaches and let them sit for 2-3 minutes. Carefully dump out that water and replace it with cold water. Peel and slice!

Stir together sugar, cornstarch and zest in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Slowly stir in orange juice and cook til thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in butter and extract. Gently combine with peaches and turn into pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 – 3 hours.

Just before serving, whip cream with an electric mixer. While still beating, slowly add sugar and extract, then beat til stiff peaks form. Spoon into a freezer bag, snip off a corner and squeeze whipped cream decoratively onto the pie.

No comments: